Monday, July 23, 2007

The Blecky Weekend that Wasn't

I won't even bother telling you about Saturday other than I took all of the kids to Pike Place Market while my husband was at work. Bad idea. Not going there.

.. moving on ..

I wrestled with two different projects this weekend, one with a pattern, and one without. Here's my first shot at a new throw pillow cover:

You'll notice that the pillow isn't actually closed all of the way in back... this would be without a pattern. I REALLY wanted ties and sewed all six of them to the inside with invisible thread. Because I'm lazy, I didn't want to redo (or take apart) the whole thing again so I sewed a slab of hot pink inside the opening. Here's the back of the pillow at present:Still not good enough as far as I'm concerned, but I'm going to shelf it for the moment and probably try again later today... I'll just have to start from scratch and learn from my mistakes. And here's the apron that I'm working on. HAH! What in the world happened? I REALLY want to throw it away, just to prove my absolute disgust with McCalls (#M5284) and with my own lack of skills. To excuse my end of the miserable outcome, I just started sewing in early January of this year and this is the first time that I've ever attempted to "gather" anything. Obviously I suck at it. Hmf. I guess that my seam ripper and I will have some time to get better acquainted today. "So seam ripper, it just occurred to me that I don't know you're favorite color... or where you were born!" The seam ripper might respond, "Favorite color? Well, my handle is pink but there's so much more to me that that! And China is my homeland. But please don't let that lead you to believe that I am comfortable with communism." And then we will have a pleasant political debate concerning the Chinese government and no one's feelings will get hurt.

Yesterday we went out with my mom and got the girls clothes for this school year. Here's what the boys and I did while they tried on clothes...

hand puppets.

hand shadows (oops, I used a flash but pretend you can see shadows).






Acting like trees.







Or bushes.



Then getting me involved. We're supposed to be thoughtful shrubs.

And here, I am the tree
and Mr. P is the fruit. That
makes perfect sense, right?

I often wonder what others think about our strange tribe. Multi cultural, multi ethnic, taking photos in the dressing room while behaving like metaphytes. What an oddity that we are. But in a good way... I mean, I wouldn't trade my life in for any other. I really am proud of what we're becoming and looking forward to where God will take us next!




Now I'm off to braid some hair.

No comments: